October 22, 2007

New York offers surprises, kicks in the nads

Much has happened in the last few days, some of it good and some of it less so.

The Good:
The other day I met a nice Christian guy who wanted me to work in the ghettos with him to spread the word of God. I met him, along with his friend, as they tried to punt a seven pound rat across Union Square. The rat kept coming back to play but the guy's foot failed to spread God's message to that particular rodent.


The less so:
I've found several warm, comfortable places to study for the GREs. No matter how warm or comfortable I am, however, I still have difficulty with the many Quantitative Comparisons that include more letters than my name.

The much less so:
I may have to find my own room/apartment/hovel. I love my brother to death, and our third roommate is a nice enough guy, but they haven't proven to be very reliable nor forthcoming in our search for a new home. With the new month fast approaching, finding an apartment in time is becoming increasingly unlikely and rent prices have become more of an issue. While staying at our current place had seemed like a reasonable option, I may not actually have priority on the available room thanks to an unfortunate interpretation of squatter's rights.

I had expected a certain number of surprises in New York, but I didn't anticipate this kind of moving difficulties. Although if I expected a surprise then it would cease being a surprise, wouldn't it? In case you were wondering about the title, my potential need to get my own place was the metaphorical kick in the nads.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

oh geez! Best of luck in the apt search. Would you try some of those roommate sites to find an affordable place? You could also explore the Hoboken, NJ apt prices. They are also pricey from what I know of them but a bit more affordable than parts of the city.

Nikki Neurotic said...

Good luck with the apartment search...there usually seems some good possibilities in The Village Voice though, don't know how you feel about sharing with total strangers but the ads I've seen in the past have been affordable.

And we should totally be GRE study buddies.

Fletch said...

God told them to kick the rat - it was a test of their faith. Kinda like Abraham or something.

Matt said...

sarah - thanks for the advice. I've been widening my search because I'm trying to save money so I'll have to look into that area too.

silver - Darn it, I knew I should've grabbed a Village Voice today. And we should totally be GRE study buddies.

fletch - I don't really know my Bible too well so you could be right. Or not.