November 6, 2007

Changes in New York weather, my job

This past week the temperature in New York has hovered just above 50 degrees Fahrenheit which is roughly the cutoff point for when my building’s heater turns on. If it were any warmer then I’d be all roses and candy canes. If it were any colder I’d be snug inside my heated room. As it currently stands, I’m neither hot nor cold except for my feet and extremities which have apparently seceded from the rest of my body and migrated to Iceland when I wasn’t looking.

Today my feet weren’t the only things making unexpected departures. That clever segue requires some explanation: today at work I was busily typing away in my 2 square feet of desk space for nearly forty-five minutes before finding out my supervisor (and only collaborator) had left the company. Of course, this was made worse by the fact I found all of this out via AIM from my departed supervisor – nobody in the office thought to tell little ole me.

I immediately had one of those “Oh crap! The walls are closing in on me!” sensations and if I wasn’t on the 9th floor I would’ve tried sneaking out the bathroom window. Fortunately, I met a new supervisor and he not only gave me permission to do/write whatever I want on the different networks, he encouraged me to do so! Being an unpaid intern must make it easy to keep me around.

The crazy thing is that despite my lowly status as an unpaid intern, I’ve been “promoted” to full access to every single darned thing on every system at Next New Networks. If I seriously wanted to screw up the company I could literally go in and delete EVERYTHING. (If you work at Next New Networks and are reading this, please remember that I would never think of doing such a thing, no matter what I just typed in the preceding sentence.)

Back at home…

I think in my last post I wrote about getting two whole rooms to myself. Well, that didn’t exactly work out and I ended up getting a single room, although that’s proven to be plenty big for me. Technically, I actually have the entire apartment to myself since my roommate hasn’t moved in and my third roommate does not exist as of yet. As a result, I’ve been able to focus on my studies and writing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In my first job, the woman who was supposed to be passing on her lifelong experience to me was fired within what felt like moments of me getting there. Welcome to the world of media!