November 16, 2007

New internets, job, filthy conversations

The internets is up and running in my apartment and what was the first thing I did? Immediately interrupt my busy schedule of practicing the GREs (verbal stuff is getting there, quantitative stuff not so much) to watch television shows!

In other news...

I got hired the other day by an advertising research company. Apparently advertising research is conducted in survey "game" formats to measure people's recall/recognition of advertised products (either in commercials or within the programs themselves). Writing these survey questions requires knowledge of the programming, grammar, and a little creative flair. I guess I have enough of all three and I'll also be trained to write questions for sports programming (because that pays even better!). It's not the sexiest job in the world, but it pays pretty well.

In an unrelated note, I was at the library a couple days ago. I was on the phone so I paused before entering. Besides me was a well-dressed African-American man also talking on the phone. I was listening to his conversation with half an ear when I realized that he was quietly spewing the nastiest sequence of words I have ever heard. Pure, straight-up nastiness. The amazing thing was that even though I was certain he was berating the person on the other end of the line, they moved on to holding a natural, normal conversation just a few minutes later.

New York people are weird.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Woot, new job! Congrats!!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, woo hoo for the new job.

"New York people are weird." based on your examples, I'll have to concur.